Sunday, March 31, 2019

All the Pluses

At the first GaryCon I went to (VII, so I guess that would have been IV years ago?) I was in the bar talking to some new people from this wider world of gamers I had just found when I heard the voice of my friend and player J, who had come with me from New York, above the general din: “No yeah, that’s him over there, my Dungeon Master—the one who gave out the plus-zero sword!”

It became a running joke, especially among the other AS&SH players and refs that we met—Handy, that stingy bastard. All he gives out for magic items are +0 swords and lucky hats. He’s so hard, you better know how to chew your way out of a dungeon.

It was a larf.

But the thing is, I loved that +0 sword. I thought it was one of the coolest items I had ever come up with. Its magic just let anyone use it. In AS&SH, somewhat like AD&D, there’s a stiff penalty for using weapons that aren’t favored for your class. The +0 Sword of Competence let any magician or illusionist or whoever use the sword without penalty. It addressed a mechanic and expanded the capabilities of a character and opened the door for characters getting into situations waaaay beyond their on-the-sheet capabilities, all of which scratched itches that I didn’t even necessarily know were on me.

We had switched from AD&D to AS&SH the year before. Around the same time I started discovering the blogs and creators that you can label OSR or DIY or well, you probably know all about that since you’re here anyway; odds are you’re one of them? But I was seeing that things could be different, that some of the things that had bugged me about our game could be handled and were being handled in lots of other ways.

I think (mists of time; fog of war; and so on) one thing that immediately struck me was a post from GusL on Dungeon of Signs, which, as with many things from Gus, just instantly showed that other ways open.

So see you in hell, sword +1. Get bent, frost brand.

Which, trust me, I know how small the scale of the revelation here. This isn’t a burning bush. It’s barely a warm patch of grass.

But doors opened. Gus was a gateway drug into all other people doing interesting stuff and forming whatever, a movement, a scene, a party where most anything goes except don’t invite the suits from corporate because they don’t know how to get down.


A view from the East River of an ruined building with graffiti that makes it look like a skull
Use images to break up text!
Mostly, though, I read and lurked. I got into G+, and it was the first social network of my life, and now I’m on a couple of others but only to hang onto some of the relationships I made on G+. I didn’t post much. Certainly not as much as the creators I was following, whose output and drive generally left me shocked and exhausted. But I chimed in on threads and more and most of all cultivated a network of people whose creativity left me in awe and whose regard and conversations I came to treasure. But still, I knew I was never going to match or even vaguely approach either the volume or quality of creative output that filled my G+ stream.

Someone recently said this was OK. I want to say it was DIY and Dragons, but I couldn’t find the reference in a quick search so I’m not certain. But said that scenes like this need noncreators, too. Need consumers, appreciators—fans. Which I think is really what I have been. Awed and appreciative and taking it all in and transmuting and digesting and chymically marrying and excreting in conversation and, especially, in my game. Which, I don’t know. I hope it’s good. My players keep coming back. And when we go to GaryCon or experience other games, they keep giving me one of the highest compliments I can imagine: that they’re too spoiled by our game and that playing with someone else makes them appreciate what we have.

Which just kills me from the inside out with joy and pride.

But.

The point here is that what I bring to them and our game carries in its genes all that I have absorbed from this community of gamers, writers, bloggers, creators, players, obsessives, and endless tinkerers. And many of you now I think of as my friends (and hope you do the same).

And then with G+ at -9 HP and bleeding out, Greg from Owlbear Hugs somehow tossed out the idea that I should start a blog and Bombasticus grabbed it and held feet to fire with his overwhelmingly warm regard and somehow, somehow . . . this.

I’m terrified. I don’t know what this will be. I am trying to let it develop without putting any pressure on myself because I know I will dodge it. I have thoughts. But the world is excellent and finding reasons not to express those. And softball and canoeing seasons are starting up and drinking season is just rounding into form and and and and and.

But I want to give a little small something back for all I have taken and to express, in a small way, the deep respect I have found for so many of you.

So listen. Thanks, G+ers. Thank you for all your wonderful thoughts and nonsense. Thanks for making me participate by being too wonderful to ignore. Thanks for MICROHOUND and Lulu discounts and Absurdism and endless hidden Ram talks and applying the damn +1 to what really needs it, not the first sword in the progression of always building the build but a mark of I SEE YOU and I DIG YOU and THIS. KEEP DOING THIS.

So +0 swords for you all. And all the pluses. It’s been a wild ride. Let’s see what happens next.

Image of a drive belt labeled D&D POWER drive
Awesome power!
Some not +1 swords in our game:

  • The Forge: Warhammer, +2 to hit metal armor, +1D6 fire damage on 19-20
  • Slate: Two-handed sword. Petrifaction (w/save) on 19-20
  • Death-Soldier's Muster: Falcata: in the hands of a fighter/necromancer, any human killed rises as a zombie that serves until the next dawn
  • Reflected Glory: Long sword. Casts mirror image 1/day.
  • Shield Hand: Med. shield made of human hands, still bloody at the wrist. First melee attack with a weapon that would hit, shield grabs the weapon and tosses it away.
  • Long Alexander: Great spear that can cut through anything (from the Gardens of Ynn)
(Also: I don't know how to do stuff. If you have any thoughts on how to make this look any better, please feel free to share! I am rushing because I want to get this up before G+ fails its system shock roll and is irrevocably dead.)

(Oh god here we go.)

23 comments:

  1. top mechanic of the year and it ain't even April yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know where to find me! There is no way even this small thing would have happened without you. This nation's saving grace.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're doing this. What a good way to end G+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ben. I am glad I actually got my shit together and did this before the end!

      Delete
  3. Great to see that you started this! I like the balance between giving the weapons a magic power and making it a little less than a sure thing (or worse magic as technology) by requiring conditions such as the 19 or 20 to hit. Also excellent blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! Wait'll I get back to talking about how fragile I think magic items should be ...

      Delete
  4. In bocca al lupo! Magic Items are for amateurs. Tomato plant with Entangle spell is a Pro move. When can we expect a plant combat table? Also: cowbell +1 .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of the +0 Sword of Competence a lot. Also "Use images to break up text!" cracked me up something fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The +0 sword is simply GOLD. And a new blog to follow - yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, all. Manimal, keep feeding it blood and anti-imperialist propaganda, and we'll see how that Ynn plant grows up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice start. Keep the faith! (Love the +0 sword...what ODD cleric wouldn't drool over that?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see you making a blog. Like you, I am not a "creator" but take pride in my ability to distill the myriad ideas of visionaries and creatives into a distinctive brew that my players love. I may not be a creator but the world needs connoisseurs, too.

    I swear by +0 weapons in my game but will lose all my OSR street cred by admitting that I run 5e heavily modifed for an old school feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to learning and improving my game by absorbing the inevitable torrent of wisdom! Please flog this at least a couple more times or else some may miss out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. +1 on your first post, Handy ;)

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a fellow lurker, this was a great post and I definitely needed to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for coming over, Hyperboreans! Familiar names are a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to see you on here, and I liked hearing your story of how you came to this. What I had said (and I'll quote it here, if you don't mind, so you can find it again easily) was this:

    "My sense of what I might have to contribute as a blogger has been a little different since I read The Participatory Museum by Nina Simon. She points to 'critics,' 'collectors,' 'joiners,' and 'spectators' as modes of participation alongside 'creators.' The idea that everyone should, or even can be 'a creator' is like a pernicious myth that deters people from other forms of participation and creativity. And those other contributions are at least as valuable to maintaining the scene as the 'creators' are."

    So, a thing that touches my heart, maybe the same way your players touched you, is when I see blog posts that are like "Anne asked me this" or "DIY & Dragons said that, and here's my reply". So thank you, I'm glad something I said helped you find your voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be part of the conversation. And I very much think the message that "the idea that everyone should, or even can be 'a creator' is like a pernicious myth that deters people from other forms of participation and creativity" is something that can't be repeated enough. Thanks so much for taking the time to post it here, too.

      Delete
  15. From one who has been quietly maintaining my petty internet fiefdom in this field for a time, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete